[OH-Dev] Documenting deployment with Heroku

Daniel Mizyrycki daniel at glidelink.net
Wed Jun 20 17:41:28 UTC 2012

Hi Asheesh,

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Daniel Mizyrycki wrote:
>
>> Hi Asheesh,
>> I am preparing in the next 2-3 days a pull request for the reviewed
>> Heroku documentation we discussed here. Would you like me to include
>> the patch you sent me as part of the pull request? /
>
> Oops, I was going to submit that.
>
> Let me first review https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/39 ...
>
> This pull request is great. I would suggest reorganizing things a
> little, so the things that are only relevant to the OpenHatch
> deployment are in a separate section. I can submit a pull request for
> that shortly, maybe 1-3 days. Merged your pull request.

Sure

> Okay, now the Heroku Procfile fix pull request... submitted. Please
> review!
>
> https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/40

Done. I confirm this file is necessary for Heroku to correctly find our
application. 'heroku scale web=1' does not work without it. Please do
the pull. Also, we need to update our documentation to ask the user to
run 'heroku scale web=1'
I think you would like
https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/cdb5b2ba7b33023203d48c5d15ca30d94ee07216
. It contains the additions we'd been discussing so far.

>> Also, thank you for cleaning up my previous docs. As I mentioned, I
>> have a small git pre-commit script that removes trailing whitespaces.
>> I include it in my git repos under tools directory and link it to
>> .git/hooks/pre-commit. It might be worth to create such a directory,
>> and to provide a tool like this.
>
> Yeah, honestly, I think that would be superb, so long as we can
> document it well!

Excellent point. The tool is a hack of what I found at
http://stackoverflow.com. It is good enough for me and I think  a good
start for this project. I uploaded it in
https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/f500f3ad43125778c2854d51f37dc7a92ffec7f3
. There is no harm in adding the tool as one need to create a symlink
into .git/hooks to be operational. The question now is where we want to
iterate.