[OH-Dev] 0.12.02 report

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Jun 5 00:24:41 UTC 2012

Hey all,

In the past, we used to do 'monthly releases'. The current one has been
going since the beginning of February. Oops. (-:

So, with no further delay, I'm going to declare victory on it. I've
updated https://openhatch.org/wiki/0.12.02 to reflect the things that
happened. I've also tagged it.

There are 22 different committers whose patches landed this iteration. You
can see the list this way:

$ git log 1ddb28b060ea112e6ee5afb3caa91d20799b9d9e...HEAD | grep ^Author | sort |uniq

Here's a version of that list, slightly cleaned up, and with email
addresses removed:

* Asheesh Laroia
* Berry Phillips
* Daniel Mizyrycki
* Jacquie Flemming
* Jason Woofenden
* Jessica McKellar
* John Morrissey
* Karen Rustad
* Kevin Cole
* Laura Schneider
* Mark Holmquist
* Nathan R. Yergler
* Nic Hodges
* Pam Selle
* Patricia Sazama
* Russia Madden
* Shawn Landden
* unknown (Kathleen)
* Volkan Yalçın
* Walker Hale IV
* whit ford

A lot of big changes landed this iteration. I want to especially thank:

* Jessica McKellar for pushing-for and reviewing changes to the backups,
so that we actually do them and test them.

* Berry, Shawn, and Pam for being frequent reviewers of changes on Github.

* Daniel, for spearheading the move to Sphinx and Read the Docs.

* Walker for tirelessly fighting a sort of crazy data corruption whose fix
is to have us properly use Django's hook system.

* Nathan Yergler, for implementing a class-based set of views for the
training missions that were a big improvement over my hacks.

* John Morrissey and Berry for spearheading the move toward a clean
separation of the bug import code out of the main oh-mainline repo.

* Karen Rustad, for leading the charge on the redesign that finally landed
with this release.

* The Python Software Foundation for, in effect, sponsoring two sprints:
one at PyCon, and one in SF more recently.

You can read https://openhatch.org/wiki/0.12.02 to see what precisely
happened.

We also saw a couple of interesting changes in terms of the code
collaboration process: we moved the code hosting to Github, but also I
started insisting on review for all changes, including my own. I have been
amazed at the code quality improvements that come from this review, and
I'm really excited that we have the size of community that makes that
workable.

Also, I realize I haven't been continuing to attend the project meetings
that the documentation says we do. My schedule has changed so that weekend
meetings are harder to get to. I'll be at this week's upcoming meeting,
Wed Jun 6, and work on the schedule for other meetings in a bit.