[OH-Dev] Use Man Pages

Jacquie Flemming jacquelinehfl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:28:42 UTC 2012

Hello Openhatch Devs-

I was looking through the bug list for my next bug, and I noticed a
couple of requests for 'quick references' to be made available
after finishing a mission, so that the user doesn't have to go back
through the entire mission. Initially I thought this was a great idea, and
had even crossed my mind to do the same. And then I started thinking,
"it would also be nice to have a 'toolbox' of quick references and such
to help people out". And it dawned on me that that is what man pages are
for. And teaching one to use man pages, would be a lot better than
having a quick reference at the end of a mission. (Unless you're on
windows,
not sure).

Along those lines, I think openhatch should add a mission for man pages.
And also, maybe on the mission's page or maybe not, a resources' section
with web friendly man pages. I know man pages can be overwhelming so
maybe a 'starter friendly' web version of what openhatch feels are the most
important parts for the utility being described.

Here is a web friendly man page that I thought could fit the bill
(this being much longer than what I had in mind):
http://schacon.github.com/git/gittutorial.html
So potentially the end of the git mission could point to something like
this.
Or this
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=tar&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

And the resource/toolbox page could be indexed as such:
http://schacon.github.com/open-source.html (yea I don't know,
coincidentally the same person's account but something along those
lines).

Two issues that would benefit from this are:
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue456
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue639

Any thoughts, yes, no, maybe so? :)

-thanks, jacquie