[OH-Dev] Further small (but important) improvements to the deployment

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Jan 25 23:40:01 UTC 2012

One of the long-standing problems with the main OpenHatch server is that
it runs out of disk space.

I just did two things that should ameliorate that.

1. I moved "inside.openhatch.org" to the secondary server,
linode2.openhatch.org

That should save 1.6GB of disk space.

2. I fixed Roundup's configuration so that it stops creating gigabytes of
logs that fill the disk

In particular, I adjusted the configuration of logrotate so that it would
rotate this file appropriately. Roundup will probably still make 200MB of
Apache Common Formt logs per day, but then they'll get rotated away and
compressed, rather than permitted to grow forever until they fill up the
disk.

When the site has been slow or unresponsive, low disk space (and therefore
a backlog of writes to MySQL) has usually been the cause.

Nagios is configured to monitor our disk space on linode.openhatch.org; it
just issued a RECOVERY that disk space is (finally) fine again, with 3.4GB
out of 16GB free.

Just an FYI that I thought some people here might appreciate,