[OH-Dev] Notes from running OpenHatch on Heroku (patch attached)

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Tue Feb 14 23:22:41 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Parker Phinney's message of Tue Feb 14 17:03:55 -0500 2012:
> I wonder: is it possible to have manage.py in both places through
> clever use of symlinks or python import
> statements/__init__.py/something else?

I am pretty sure that it is, except:

1) We shouldn't use symlinks if we want to keep supporting Windows.

This can be solved by copying the file, rather than symlinking.

2) It violates the principle of "There is one right way to do things".

I'm mostly worried about the principle of obviousness, and I think it's worth
moving it rather than having manage.py in two places and having to explain somewhere
why that's the case.

For bonus points, argument #3:

3) We'd have to forever make totally sure that that running it from both
   places works just the same.

This is actually probably not a big deal, but it's worth mentioning/considering.

So that's why I lean toward just moving the sucker. Everyone will complain for a week,
and then no one will. (-: