[OH-Dev] [issue799] Github tracker form should validate github_name and github_repo

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Thu Dec 20 17:00:06 UTC 2012

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

A well-meaning user entered the following information as the information about
privly-firefox, hoping to get volunteer opportunities crawled by the backend:

* Github name: privly/privly-firefox

* Github repo: https://github.com/privly/privly-firefox

The right information would have been:

* Github name: privly

* Github repo: privly-firefox

One approach would be that we could validate that "Github name" and "Github
repo" have no / characters in them.

But, an even better way occurs to me: given that the URL
<https://github.com/privly/privly-firefox> is so easy to enter there, maybe we
should just ask users to enter that, and then behind the scenes we validate it
and break it up into its component pieces, but don't show those component pieces
to the user.

messages: 3539
nosy: paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Github tracker form should validate github_name and github_repo