[OH-Dev] Events calendar: requesting change suggestions

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Tue Sep 27 03:33:39 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Karen Rustad's message of Mon Sep 26 19:54:31 -0400 2011:

> > Things that would be nice to figure out a plan to:
> >
> > * How to embed event information on the project pages
> >

> Hmmm. It seems unlikely that there's any easy programmatic way to guess that
> an event is associated with a particular project.
>
> I wonder if, when entering an event, you could associate it with a project
> (or multiple projects) as tags, auto-completing the field from the OpenHatch
> project directory?

I like this idea. The Calagator code supports the idea of "machine
tags," which are tags an event can have that are intended to create
links between events and other sites on the web.

We could make an OpenHatchProject machine tag, and the UI could suggest
projects by asking the Django code for a json feed of projects and offer
a dynamic drop-down with autocomplete.

> Then figuring what events to show on a project's page would be easy--just
> get the ones tagged with that project's name/slug.
>
> A slightly more intelligent version of this would compare a list of skill
> tags associated with a project with a list of skill tags associated with an
> event and send the event to the project's page if there's some sufficient
> level of overlap. (So e.g. any Intro to Python event would show up on any
> Python-based project.) I don't know if we have the data to make that
> workable right now, though...
>
> If we manage to get this going, and have a dedicated section on project
> pages for events, it'd be nice to suck in a calendar feed for the project as
> a whole as well--with all sorts of project events, not just the "good for
> newcomers" ones.

I'm too sleepy to figure out how to implement these, but luckily I think we're
not at that stage yet!