[OH-Dev] Moving the bug importer code out of oh-mainline into "bugimporters"

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 28 19:55:15 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jack Grigg's message of Fri Oct 28 00:58:02 -0400 2011:

> Hey,
>
> Given that I wrote basically all of this code, I am very happy to
> provide insight into how it works ^_^

(-:

Some further thoughts of mine follow.

> The other big classes to worry about are the BugParser classes e.g.
> BugzillaBugParser. Each of these takes the obtained bug data (however
> that particular tracker type gives it) and returns the specific data
> dict required for our Bug model. This is very much not site-agnostic,
> as it requires prior knowledge of how the Bug model is constructed
> i.e. what information it is that we care about. So in my mind, the
> BugParser classes will need to stay in the OH tree, and be passed into
> the bugimporter package.

I think the BugParser classes actually should move out of oh-mainline
also. Those BugParser classes don't need to depend on Django, I believe,
and also deserve the same rigorious testing as the "bug importers."

As I write this out, the difference between them is becoming increasingly
clear in my mind.

"importers" are about downloading.

"parsers" are about extracting information.

Other than that, major +1 on the rest of what you said.