[OH-Dev] Development documentation: Should we move it out of the wiki?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Nov 14 20:53:41 UTC 2011

I have some general thoughts about developer documentation for the
OpenHatch codebase. This email first describes how things are right now;
then it links to other people doing things in what seem like nice ways;
then it makes suggestions for what we could do.

But first, some...

Quick overview questions
------------------------

Dear reader, would you be any more (or less) willing to write dev
documentation if we moved it from the wiki to the main git repo?

Dear reader, do you find our dev documentation hard to navigate, and would
more structure help with that?

Dear reader, do you have experience from other code collaboration projects
that can help guide us toward a good strategy for storing developer
documentation?

How we do things now
--------------------

We store pages in our wiki here:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Category:Hacking_OpenHatch

We use this category for all developer documentation-type things so that
it's pretty easy to find development documentation. The idea of putting
these on the web is so that prospective contributors can click around in
the comfort of a web browser. Also, in theory, this makes it easier to
other people to write write dev documentation.

One thing I don't like about the wiki is that there isn't an obvious sense
of "previous" and "next", or of hierarchy.

We store some things in the repo, like README.mkd (and now
INSTALLATION.mkd and more). The nitty-gritty documentation, it seeems, I
prefer to leave in the git repo. Storing this in git has the following
advantages:

* The version of these documents that you read is in sync with the version
of the code you have.

* I get to use my regular text editor to write the docs, not a web
browser's editor in a <textarea>. (I could work around this by using a
Firefox extension to use a regular editor.)

Other people's nice ways of doing things

Kitsune, a (open source) Django app, uses readthedocs.org + sphinx and
stores their docs in their git repo:
http://kitsune.readthedocs.org/en/latest/vendor.html

MediaGoblin seems to use a wiki for developer-oriented documentation:
http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Storage

Suggestion
----------

Maybe we should take all these development-oriented docs and move them out
of the wiki and into the repository. A proposal:

* Make a directory called devdocs/
* Move the current wiki-based dev docs into there
* Use the Sphinx text format to do this
* Use readthedocs.org to host a copy of the dev docs rendered into HTML
* Create some hierarchy and prev/next structure for the new, Sphinx-ified
docs

Then, we'd adjust the "source code etc." link on the OpenHatch site so
that it goes to openhatch.readthedocs.org, to the page that talks about
how to clone the repo and set up an instance.

What do you think?

-- Asheesh.

P.S. Also, I do admit that we do need more developer documentation.