[OH-Dev] [issue609] Use settings.py in a more idiomatic way

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Fri Nov 11 22:44:13 UTC 2011

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

Right now, we keep the Django site settings in mysite/settings.py . There is no
supported way to override those changes, so developers end up making changes to
that file and then have unstaged local changes.

I suggest the following:

settings.py: This file should mostly just import the OpenHatch default settings.
It should be in git, but also in .gitignore so that changes a user makes here
are not committed

openhatch/default_settings.py: This file should contain the defaults and be
stored in version control

As for the production_settings.py file, that can stay, and the deployment can
have a settings.py that imports from there.

I hope we can nail this down by the end of the weekend. If anyone with some
git+Django savvy wants to give this a shot, feel free to assign it to yourself!

messages: 2667
milestone: 0.11.11
nosy: paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Use settings.py in a more idiomatic way