[OH-Dev] Saturday Nov 12, and/or Sun Nov 13: OpenHatch coding+contribution day, Boston area?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Nov 9 16:45:14 UTC 2011

Hey everybody,

I had a lot of fun at the Boston Python project night a few days ago,
getting together with people and trying to improve the OpenHatch website.
It showed me people are interested in contributing, and also that it's too
hard to contribute.

The OpenHatch.org site aims to help new contributors find things to work
on in FLOSS. It should be faster-to-load, more helpful, and easier to hack
on itself!

I was wondering if people would be up for an OpenHatch-fest, where we get
together and work on issues of great import in the OpenHatch code.

(Current dev documentation starts here:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_the_OpenHatch_code )

Doodle poll
-----------

Are you free Sat Nov 12, or Sun Nov 13, during the afternoon (1 PM)
or early evening (6 PM)?

Say so here:

http://www.doodle.com/wfbsw7wfbg6bp8tf

Details
-------

Proposed Theme: Make the OpenHatch code simpler and easier to hack on

Some specific things we could work on:

* Moving the bugimporters code out of oh-mainline (and finally killing the
old "bugtrackers" code)

* Making sure the code+migrations work on sqlite, so that contributors
don't have to install MySQL

* Writing setup instructions for e.g. Windows that don't require doing
anything too complicated

* Working together to remove the custom faceted-search code in
mysite/search/controllers.py and switch to using django-haystack

* Giving feedback or making changes to the new front page, at
http://rose.makesad.us:9000/

* If someone likes thinking about (or wants to learn about) web app
performance issues, improving the speed of the site could be a good thing
to work on, too.

* The famous, long-standing goal of implementing
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue282

Your ideas here!

Closing
-------

That doodle link again: http://www.doodle.com/wfbsw7wfbg6bp8tf

Let us know if you'd be interested in coming out for this!

P.S. This coincides with some other hackathons this weekend, like the
Twisted Sprint. If we decide the timing works out, we could see if the
Twisted folks would let us join them in their space.