[Devel] UI thoughts, for editing projects' bug trackers on the web: Requesting comments

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri May 20 03:01:19 UTC 2011

Toward the end of the last milestone, I was implementing a user
interface for letting people use the web interface on OpenHatch to edit
the bug trackers associated with their project.

The idea was to clean up the work that Jack did, months ago, that
lives on the web at e.g.
https://openhatch.org/customs/edit/roundup/OpenHatch (and
https://openhatch.org/customs/ generally).

The goal was to improve things in the following way:

Project maintainers should be able to go from their project page (e.g.
https://openhatch.org/+project/OpenHatch ) to a page that shows them how
to add a bug tracker to our system, so that we crawl it.

== What I started, and why it sucked ==

What I started doing was taking the "project edit" interface -- what you
get if you click "Edit" on https://openhatch.org/+projects/OpenHatch , and
you land at https://openhatch.org/+projedit/OpenHatch -- and add a new tab
called "Bug trackers".

So far, so good.

What I was doing was taking the
https://openhatch.org/customs/edit/roundup/OpenHatch page and copying it
so that it could appear under a +projedit URL.

As I made it possible to list bug trackers from within the project page, I
realized that since some bug trackers create bugs for more than one
project, their bug tracker editing UI would have many URLs: One per
"projedit" page.

They needed to be different pages because, in the projedit analog of
https://openhatch.org/customs/edit/roundup/OpenHatch , the "Back to
trackers list" link should take you back to all trackers for the project
whose projedit page you were just looking at.

It ended up getting really ugly. I didn't finish it by the end of the
milestone, and I looked away in horror when considering when to make time
to finish it.

== New proposal ==

I'm going to:

* Create a new tab at https://openhatch.org/+projedit/OpenHatch labeled
"Bug trackers"

* On that page, you will see a list of all bug trackers that have created
bugs for the project

* These will just be links to the existing /customs/ UI pages, like
https://openhatch.org/customs/edit/roundup/OpenHatch

* If you have JavaScript turned on, when you click that link, you won't
actually go to the page. Instead you will see a modal dialog box with
*just* the edit UI, and with no "Back to trackers list" link. Instead
it'll have an (X) around it. (Like when you go to
http://floyd-dev.mirocommunity.org/ and scroll to the bottom and click
"Log in".)

That way, I don't have to copy those UI elements; I just have to wrap them
in a slick JavaScripty frame.

== Requesting comments ==

I'd love to know what people think about this idea. I'll probably start
implementing it on Friday night, or else on the weekend.

http://asheesh.org/

Q:	What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?
A:	The Graf Zeppelin represented cutting edge technology for its time.