[Devel] May Milestone Planning

Paul Bakulich paulbakulich at gmail.com
Sat May 7 21:33:46 UTC 2011

Hi awesome Openhatch team,

This week we had a super productive meeting, with some May Milestone Madness
Planning
on a  OpenEtherpad..

*Priorities for the OpenHatch May release*

*Things people are already working on:*

   - palhmbs: Cleanups to git mission

   - palhmbs: bash mission

   - pythonian4000: bug_tracker db cleanup

   - Asheesh: User interface for adding/removing bug trackers

*Things we can't live without*

   - Landing page has meaningful information for project maintainers

   - Fixing the new landing page bug where it sometimes has only 1 column

   - CAPTCHA problems on wiki solved

   - Asheesh: fixing the slow people page :P

*Things that people want to work on*

   - viv: caching bug, http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue310

   - jledbetter: Importer for issues from Lighthouse

   - palhmbs: Adding Groupserver to manage the mailing list

   - Asheesh: Plan out what the outreach team could do:
   https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue383

*Things t**hat** would rock (bug fixes)*

   - UI problem, pretty easy to fix: http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue389

   - We need to adjust the test suite to find out where it assumes
   notifications should be sent weekly, and change it to daily:
   http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue284

   - UI problem in training missions, pretty easy to fix:
   http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue372

   - Difficult UI problem that requires thinking through the way the site
   works and making a decision: http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue423

   - UI problem that requires a little bit of Django gymnastics:
   https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue303

   - Copying text out of the (mostly unmaintained) blog, into the wiki,
   where text is easier for us to maintain:
   http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue357

*Things t**hat** would **be sorta nice to get cleared up ** (bug fixes)*

   - Contributions Widget - Add the ability to customize the widget's height
   and width  https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue48 &
   https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue375

   - Get a Maintainers Widget done with the same customization abilities as
   above: https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue27

   - JSON API for the Profile Widget - https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue76

*Things Asheesh thinks would rock (features)*

    Features that seem reasonably easy to do

   - Redesign of /search/, at least a mockup, to take into account the
   "Feedback we've gotten"

   - IRC training mission

   - bitesize backend ticket: Store geocoded locations in the database,
   rather than in an ad-hoc cache: http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue175

    Features that seem harder to do:

   - Redesign the login page - add twitter like login drop-down

   - Come up with an interface for showing and editing events so that new
   contributors to open source can just add a note to their calendar

   - To qualify for being listed, an event could be: IRC meetings of
   existing projects that welcome new contributors; an in-person hackathon on a
   project that welcomes new contributors; events like the Boston Python
   Workshop for women and their friends, which are free-of-cost events where
   you can learn a skill you need to contribute to open source

   - The difficult thing here is that someone has to make a solid proposal
   for the events interface: Where will it go in the UI? What are the minimal
   features that can make this work?

*Feedback we've gotten*

This section is here so that people understand where my (Asheesh)'s
suggestions are coming from.

   - People seem to really like attending events, like the "Build it" events

   - Debian is running one in a few hours, and it's going pretty well for
   them!

   - Some people who use /search/ are looking to get involved for the long
   term. Others are looking to just submit one patch.

   - Similarly, some projects are well-suited to mentor new contributors,
   like with the new PythonMentors.com. It'd be great to highlight those
   projects under the "long term" category, so we can send people to them.

   - Maybe we can ask the Fedora Design Team for ideas about the UI, too

If you want to make edits, do it on the pad --
http://openetherpad.org/may-release-priorities --
(or if you want to make suggestions or just general comments, reply by
email)

We are really looking forward to having more and more contributors get
involved with helping Openhatch, and launching their OSS careers.
Paul Bakulich