[Devel] Git training missions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Mar 31 04:53:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Mark Freeman wrote:

> Hey everyone! I know I don't tend to make the weekly meetings, so I
> wanted to update everyone on where I am with this (and ask some
> questions).  Right now, I have almost all of the front end screens
> built. I also have the code behind allowing the user to create a
> personal git repo, and resetting the repo, completed.  I'm currently in
> the process if writing the methods to parse the patch file and verify
> the user correctly made the changes.

That is super exciting, Mark! Once you've been through it, maybe you can
also help us fix up the "How to write a mission" documentation, because
you've been through it. It's a crime that the documentation there isn't
perfect, because we really could use good missions.

> I have a question!  Once I know this, I'm hoping to get this wrapped up
> in the next couple of weeks.  Currently the repo is created in
> mysite/missions-userdata/git/<username> in exactly the same way the svn
> mission is.  Does anyone know git well enough to know how to serve this
> to the user so it can be accessed using a standard "git clone
> git://openhatch.org/timewasted git_missions"?

Will makes a really good point about just using having Apache (on the
deployment) serve out the git repositories over HTTP. I'd be okay with
that.

It'll be easy for us to do, too. We'll just add a config line to the
server like:

Alias /git-missions/ /path/to/mysite/missions-userdata/git/

And Apache will serve it out. That's good enough, so long as it's okay
that people's repositories are world-readable. (If your design is okay
with that, then that's good. If not we should try harder to work something
else out.)

In the test suite, you can tell git to "git clone" against the local
filesystem, and that should work okay. (The svn mission does something
similar.)

Do you think that'll work out for you?

(-:,

Your talents will be recognized and suitably rewarded.