[Devel] Yes! We can use Google Maps over SSL now!

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Mar 18 15:22:21 UTC 2011

Okay, so here's the facts:

1. If you go to https://openhatch.org/people/ , you get an SSL warning
in some web browsers because we include the Google Maps JavaScript over
non-encrypted HTTP. (Since you're using the secure, HTTPS verion of the
openhatch site, this causes a warning.)

2. As of last week, the only way for us to get the Google Maps API over
SSL was to pay Google ten thousand dollars.

3. As of this week, Google announced SSL availability for the Google Maps
API.

See:
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2011/03/improving-security-of-google-apis-with.html

4. It should be reasonably easy to adjust the OpenHatch code to use Google
Maps over SSL.

These pages need changing:

* mysite/account/templates/account/set_location.html
* mysite/profile/templates/profile/search_people.html

I think that if we use SSL for all visitors, whether or not they are
accessing OpenHatch over SSL, that would be fine.

5. First person to submit a patch to this earns my everlasting love. After
you update the source code, make sure to try it locally on your own
machine, and make sure that the map still works.

(6. Yes, I do know the map is still slow.)

(7. This is tracked in https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue213 and
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue233 )

You will be surprised by a loud noise.