[Devel] Changing the (legal) structure of OpenHatch so that it's easier to take donations

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:29:58 UTC 2011

Hi Asheesh,

I have a couple of questions.

the Login Team and other processes cover how people get access to our
> resources.

I'd like to know more about the processes you are envisioning for allocating
money. Is everything voted on by the Login Team? Do you as authorized
spender decide?

> For most OpenHatch code contributors, this won't actually change anything.
> Someone will continue to pay the bills for hosting the site, and people's
> travel on OpenHatch-y things will continue to be paid for, either by the
> individual, or by OpenHatch itself.

Here is a hypothetical situation: you, me, and two people who are organizers
for the Boston Python Workshop but aren't otherwise affiliated with
OpenHatch are traveling across the country to run a workshop clone. Whose
travel expensive are subsidized here? You, you and mean, all four of us
equally, everyone on a sliding scale based on income?

Initially, most of the expenses (by dollar count) are basically definitely
> going to go toward my next year of touring the US and running teaching open
> source events like the one at Penn. I want to be clear that this isn't going
> to enrich me; it'll just pay for some bus rides or airline fares. I'll still
> probably end up sleeping on people's couches when I arrive in those cities.

If you are willing to share: how much money did OpenHatch start with, how
much did it end with, and what is the breakdown in spending between
maintenance, travel, and any other major categories that haven't been
mentioned?

Thanks,
-Jessica