[Devel] We now have a Roadmap!

Paul Bakulich paulbakulich at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 22:40:52 UTC 2011

Hi OpenHatchers,

During this weeks meeting (June 4, 2011), Asheesh said:
 "So one pseudo-announcement I want to make is that I am very strongly
considering working on just OpenHatch-related things for a while (at least
approximately a year) starting in about September."

So we (aldeka - Karen Rustad, paulproteus - Asheesh, palhmbs - Paul Bakulich
& pythonian4000 - Jack Grigg),
started a braindump to plan out what we'd like OpenHatch to look like at the
end of that year....
http://piratepad.net/OpenHatchInOneYear

>From which, aldeka edited and created...
http://openhatch.org/wiki/OpenHatch_Roadmap_Sept_2012

I think today has been a very important step for the OpenHatch community,
proactively moving forward to
develop it's goal to "help newcomers find their way into free software
projects".

The main things that I think are worth mentioning...

** Create a Buildhelper Projects page to help new contributors get started
with a projects codebase
** Move OpenHatch from being being bug focussed to project focussed
** Turning OpenHatch into a non-profit
** Develop more metrics for project maintainers and other useful usage
statistics
** Improve usability, site-wide
** Improve stability & have better plans for handling site outages

These are only a few of the exciting things that Asheesh at OpenHatch will
be working on, with help from the wider OpenHatch community!

I personally, really want to thank Asheesh Laroia for offering to take this
time to concentrate on OpenHatch.

I see this as a huge step forward for OpenHatch, the planning for it as a
milestone in itself.

So, please, please take the time to check out the wiki for yourself, and if
you have some suggestions, either email the devel list or pop in to IRC and
discuss it.

Your fellow OpenHatcher...
Paul Bakulich