[Devel] Welcome to OpenHatch version 0.11.06

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jun 2 13:45:55 UTC 2011

Dear Devel,

I just pushed and tagged the last commits for OpenHatch 0.11.05. I plan to
write up the release notes for the blog in the next day or two.,

That means that as of now, the current project is the June release. And
whatever the rest of our lives contain. (-:

I want to make a special note about a blog post that Brandon Hays (AKA
tehviking on IRC) wrote about a month ago:
http://brandonhays.com/blog/2011/05/03/why-i-still-dont-contribute-to-open-source/

In his post, Brandon identifies a lot of the cultural and personality
issues that drive me personally to contribute to this OpenHatch project we
work on.

I want to also point you all to (our own) Karen Rustad's paper on
"Outreach and Diversity in FOSS communities":
http://littlegreenriver.com/stuffs/Outreach-Diversity-FOSS.html (29-page
PDF at http://littlegreenriver.com/stuffs/Outreach-Diversity-FOSS.pdf ). I
learned a lot from it. To me, it connects our work on making communities
easier to enter (like the OpenHatch web app does), diversity-oriented
outreach efforts like the Boston Python Workshop, and the statistics on
under-representation of lots of groups of people in today's open source
communities.

Working with you all is a pleasure. I'm looking forward to the next
release. I'm hoping that some of you will take a minute to email me back
and say what you do and don't like about the OpenHatch project, both in
terms of what we're *doing* and in terms of your *involvement*.