[OH-Dev] The end of buildout is near

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Sat Aug 20 18:37:00 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Thu Aug 18 14:25:53 -0400 2011:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working to switch us to use "setup.py develop + virtualenv"
> instead of "buildout" as the command that downloads and updates
> dependencies.
>
> I'm extremely looking forward to this transition being complete. It took
> me a bit longer than I hoped, but I have a workable test-bed for people
> who want to try it.

As an update to this:

* I have finished updating README.vitualenv.mkd in the repository.

* I have tested these instructions on an Ubuntu virtual machine where
  buildout used to fail.

* If you were having trouble before, please try cloning the repo again,
  looking at the no_buildout branch, and reading and following the
  README.virtualenv.mkd document. It should work for you.

* There are some remaining issues before we can make this the official
  way to use the OpenHatch code. Those are in this search:
  http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue?%40columns=id%2Cactivity%2Ctitle%2Ccreator%2Cassignedto%2Cstatus%2Cmilestone&%40sort=activity&%40group=priority&%40search_text=virtualenv&submit=Search

Because of those issues, I think that realistically it will take until
the September release before we can finish migrating. But all the really
experimental, high-risk work is done.

If other people find Python packaging or Puppet manifests interesting,
then you should hopefully be able to pick up on those tickets and move
them forward!