[OH-Dev] Report-back on Vagrant

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Aug 6 13:48:59 UTC 2011

Hello all lovely OpenHatch people,

In the past month we've had some people try the Vagrant-based virtual machine.

Here's what I've learned, basically:

* Vagrant is too slow to use on many machines. Even if we make it the official
recommendation, I won't actually use it on my Linux laptop. So then it's not
realistic to call it the official recommendation.

* Vagrant is quite helpful on Mac and Windows.

So I think that should be the niche in which we recommend it.

Another non-Vagrant note:

* Buildout sometimes fails to download code on Ubuntu and Debian sid, and
  this is quite frustrating.

Indeed I pinned the Vagrant VM to use Debian squeeze so that it avoided this
problem.

(Probably the next thing I should do is find that problem with buildout.)

Feel free to reply to this if there are other thoughts people have had -- for
example, is it broken?

One of the things I was excited about with Vagrant was the idea that we could,
through Puppet, set up the rest of the site within the VM. For example: the
blog, and Roundup, and the wiki. I still want to do that, but I'm less
thrilled about it because it was so slow for some people.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. I'm trying out using sup for sending mails to mailing lists.