[Devel] OpenHatch 0.11.03 is out

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Apr 14 05:27:00 UTC 2011

Whew, everybody.

A few days late, OpenHatch 0.11.03 is out. I've pushed a tag to git.

I want to take a few minutes here to thank all the people who helped us go
forward, from long-time contributors like Karen, Jack, and Jessica, to the
new folks who recently showed up in the git log: Paul Bakulich (AKA
palhmbs on IRC) and Jairo and Joel, whom I met at PyCon.

There are some important changes in this release's git log:

* Jack has converted many of the bug trackers to be asynchronous, laying
the groundwork, and helped us move forward from some sucky code I wrote a
year ago (the "Epoch" class -- may it rest in peace).

* Karen did a major refresh of the front page, which helped people see how
the site can help *them*.

* Jairo added monitoring of the bug import and nightly emailing script,
and together we (I think) nailed down a bunch of problems that were
causing bug import to get stuck.

* Joel found and fixed a bug that was causing some users to not succeed at
logging in. This required chasing down buggy dependencies and making a
package, and getting into our own dependency installation system.

* Paul, after a long time in IRC, showed up in the git log for the first
time, fixing broken links, adjusting documentation, and adding the
super-neat django-debug-toolbar.

We have a lot to be proud of!

It does seem like a smaller release than in past months. I think some of
that can be traced back to management: I'm not happy with my own
performance this past month and a half. In particular, I think that I
didn't do a good job as project maintainer in setting highly concrete
goals for the release.

For our early releases, there were a lot of bugs to fix in the site, and
it was easy to figure out what direction was "forward". As we get past
that now, I think that we need more vision for what the site will become,
and how we will get there. If we can share this vision in a clear fashion,
we will be able to figure out how to help newcomers and old-timers make a
difference in the project.

Additionally, in a more mundane note, I wasn't very timely this month with
patch review. I'll need help; Jack, for example, even though you're
retiring from coding soon, maybe you'd be willing to do more patch review?
I think we should also reconfigure the bug tracker so that it's easier for
people to stay in top of project updates; I've filed some bugs to request
changes along those lines:

* https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue378
* https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue379

I'm learning a lot about project management from all this!

I'm proud of all the work we've put into OpenHatch, and I'm truly grateful
to be working with all of you.

For the next few days, my priority with OpenHatch is to come up with a
proposal for granting shell (and deployment) access to more people. even
though you're retiring from coding (soon), maybe you would be willing to
do patch review, too. Once that's done, I'm going to think through what
goals make sense for a short April release, as well as what big changes we
can set our sights on for May. I encourage you all to think big, too!

http://asheesh.org/

People are beginning to notice you.  Try dressing before you leave the house.