[Devel] Our three next releases

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Tue Sep 7 22:04:34 UTC 2010

It's been really, really exciting having more contributors and
possible contributors join the #openhatch IRC channel and this
email list. We've gotten lots of new people in the past six months,
and together we've done some really great things.

In this email, I want to share some ideas about focusing the
OpenHatch development community on releases targeted at particular
sets of issues. I want to hear from you all if you like the idea of
focusing, the way I'm describing.

Why I think releases are important
----------------------------------

We haven't really done "releases" of the OpenHatch code -- when
things look good, we just deploy the "master" branch. But that
means it's been hard to answer users when they ask us, "What's
new?" Going forward, I want the project to get in the habit of
doing more regular releases, like a "normal" open source project.

If you want to work on things out of order, that's okay too. The
nice thing about releases with themes is that if we have community
consensus on them, then we can identify who is interested in
working on what sorts of things. So long as you don't break
anything else, we would still happily accept patches that do things
that aren't in the scope of the current release.

So what I'm thinking is three releases for the immediate future.
Right now, the version number in setup.py says we are at version 3,
so I came up with some thoughts for versions 4, 5, and 6.

Version 4: Transparency
-----------------------

There have been some roadblocks for these new contributors, and I'd
say they relate to a lack of transparency on our part. To name one
example, I'm the only (active) person who has shell access to
linode.openhatch.org and linode2.openhatch.org, the VMs where the
website is hosted. That means if people fix a bug and want to
deploy, I'm the bottleneck. To name another one, I'm the only one
who receives emails with Python stacktraces when there are
exceptions, making it hard for others to know what bugs the site
has. In addition, it's sometimes hard to set up our dependencies;
to get around that, people have asked for a virtual machine image.

There's code that could use comments. Jeff W. has done a great job
of finding those.

There is server-side stuff that could be more participatory. For
example, even though Jack Grigg has done most of the bug tracker
crawling work lately, the logs for the bug tracker crawls aren't
published on the web.

I want to focus on these first because I'm really happy we have
such a large and growing community.

Lately, I've been writing and collecting documentation at
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Category:Hacking_OpenHatch

In this release, I want to satisfy our existing and budding
developers' desires for information and access to the best degree
possible. (This release will probably mean a lot of changes to wiki
pages and shell permissions, not just code!)

Version 5: Training missions
----------------------------

John Stumpo did some great work this summer (through GSoC) in
writing training missions -- if you've missed them, those are
interactive tutorials for tools useful for the budding free
software contributor. When I talk about them, people are excited
(-:. And we've had some people visit the IRC channel to ask
questions about them. They're online at
http://openhatch.org/missions/.

Right now they're in "Beta", which means they're published but we
don't really recommend people use them.

I'd love to see a HOWTO guide for writing a new mission, and we
have some usability glitches with the existing missions that we
could smooth out. And finally, we have to decide how they integrate
into the website. Maybe as people finish training missions, it
appears in the front page's activity feed. I'm not sure -- and that
decision is probably the single biggest thing holding us back from
removing the "BETA" banner on the training missions.

In this release, I want to really polish up the training missions
we have and invite people to write new ones.

Version 6: Automatic adding of bug importers

Jack has been doing awesome work on the bug tracker importers. He
even wrote a simple web interface to let project admins add bug
trackers automatically. It lives in the "next" branch.

I want to have versions 4 and 5 done so that we can focus on
getting that going. It would be totally awesome if we can stop
telling projects to add sections to the wiki, but instead let them
add bug trackers and then watch them get crawled automatically.

In this release, I want to make it super easy for people to add
their projects' bug trackers to be crawled by OpenHatch.

The Distant Future (like, October, hopefully)

I think it'd be great to have one more tech-focused release. In
particular, I want one focusing on performance and scalability (the
map is famously slow, and the whole site could be a bit snappier).

Then we can get into some feature-focused releases, like a release
focused on making the OpenHatch site more useful for projects that
want to mentor new contributors. (Maybe we need to add (or
remove?!) some features for them.)

What do you think?

Do you folks like the idea of doing a push for Version 4, focused
on transparency, and then versions 5 and 6 focused on the training
missions and automatic bug crawling?

If this sounds good, say so. If not, say so! And we'll reach
something like consensus and move forward. (-:

P.S. Thanks to people on #openhatch for helping me figure out what
I wanted to say here.