[Devel] Is this a good tutorial for getting started with the OpenHatch code?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Nov 18 02:58:26 UTC 2010

Hey everyone who wants to be more familiar with the OpenHatch code:

I've been writing up a tutorial at
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Adding_a_field_to_the_profile . Should I keep
writing it?

Here's a snippet from the beginning of the page:

<snippet>
Today, on November 17, 2010, my OpenHatch profile doesn't have a special
field for my IRC nickname. When I go to edit my profile, there's no place
to put it in!

This tutorial walks you through adding that feature to the November 17,
2010 version of the OpenHatch code.

Together, we will change the OpenHatch source code, which builds on top of
Django and Python. You'll see how to go all the way from a new feature
idea to making and testing the change. On the way, you'll see how to
search, study, and test code.
</snippet>

Go look at the page, and tell me if it's the kind of thing that would be
useful. If so, I will finish writing it. If not, I will just let it sit
the way it is! (-:

(And it would be good to hear feedback on the writing style.)

-- Asheesh.

P.S. I was inspired by
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Education/Learning/ModifyBrowser when writing the
page. All this documentation is in response to
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue163 .

P.P.S. You might also enjoy reading the
http://openhatch.org/wiki/What%27s_up_with_mysite page.

--
He is now rising from affluence to poverty.
 		-- Mark Twain