[Devel] For profile import, we now use Twisted

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Nov 14 06:04:46 UTC 2010

I just pushed and deployed the first usable version of the Twisted-based
profile import code.

You can find it by getting the latest version from Gitorious, and then
reading 'mysite/customs/profile_importer.py'. I'm trying to keep the new
architecture fairly simple.

This is the stuff that powers the http://openhatch.org/+portfolio/editor/
page -- it's the stuff that automagically figures out what projects you
have worked on, and puts them in your profile.

The new, Twisted-based architecture only supports importing from
qa.debian.org and Github.com. Because of that, the old-style method of
enqueuing background tasks is still around.

The code has a reasonable test suite.

I will write up more documentation in the next day or two. I'm going to
really want help with moving some of the existing profile import code over
to the Twisted-based architecture. I also want it to be pretty easy to
write your own new profile import code.

Yours in sleepiness,

You will have good luck and overcome many hardships.