[Devel] I like OpenHatch, so I made this video about you

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Nov 8 05:36:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Karen Rustad wrote:

> I'm going to start off a conversation thread, which in no way obligates
> Asheesh to send me a thank-you note (so reply, dammit, so you can get
> yours! :) ).

Too bad: you replied, so you get the Thank-you note (-:

> From Máirin's blog post:
>
> "What’s next for OpenHatch? They have a summer of code stduent who is
> working on training missions, which you can preview and test out at
> http://openhatch.org/missions – these are interactive tutorials on using
> free software to teach you. For example, you’re on a mission, you’re an
> agent for mr good to gain the trust of mr. bad, and you learn how to use
> git along the way."
>
> Oh man! Wouldn't it be cool if there was some overarching theme or
> narrative connecting the missions together? This totally reminds me of
> "Everybody stand back; I know regular expressions."
> <http://xkcd.com/208/> I'm wondering if anyone more creative than me
> might have any ideas for a 'missions' narrative that would fit within
> OH's existing aesthetic and provide excuses for learning to e.g.
> unarchive tarballs and chat on IRC. :)

An over-arching theme could be achieved!

Each one has a bit of its own narrative right now already, though.

The Subversion mission is definitely the most cohesive. John and I
struggled to come up with any sort of plot for the IRC mission, and I
think our indecision there is what prevented there from being enough time
to finish it. )-:

The svn mission:  http://openhatch.org/missions/svn

(That's the one she talks about, but she hadn't tried apparently, since
it's svn they learn, not git!)

The "hard work" of the backend is pretty much done for each of these. I'd
be pretty excited to hear (on the mailing list would be just fine) other
ideas for making the missions more cohesive or even more interesting!

> Also, is there a master list somewhere of all the 'intro to contributing
> to FLOSS' mission ideas that people have come up with (so far)? That
> might be helpful.

http://openhatch.org/wiki/Thinking_about_missions is my random scribbles.

Meanwhile, there's a redlink on the front page of the wiki:
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Main_Page links to the empty page, "Mission
suggestions".

You will be reincarnated as a toad; and you will be much happier.