[Devel] A vision statement for the main website

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Dec 23 07:22:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> Can you come up with a Vision Statement for the OpenHatch site as a whole?

mllerustad, paroneayea, FHaag, and I were on IRC, and here is what we came
up with for now. It turned into more of an /about/ page than a vision
statement.

What do you guys think?

What we wrote
-------------

Free software happens through a community of people supporting, nagging,
and cheering one another on. However, we believe that our community loses
tons of prospective members because learning how and where you can fit in
is difficult.  New people often have to overcome confusing jargon, a fear
that their effort might not be welcome, and a lack of personal connection
to the community. OpenHatch is an ongoing project to address these issues,
through our website and in-person outreach efforts.

For new contributors, the OpenHatch website is an entry-point to friendly
people and projects from across free software. Self-starters can browse
thousands of volunteer opportunities from projects and find one that
matches their interests and skills. We encourage the sense that the
community is nearby through people search, the ability to find mentors
within a project, and a map to help you find participants in your
neighborhood. On project pages, the existing community makes personal
appeals for help. You can privately learn skills related to paticipating
by using the training missions. (Read more about <a href="/wiki/For new
contributors">how new contributors can make use of the site</a>.)

Projects can use the OpenHatch website as a set of resources for making
open source comprehensible to a newcomer. You can send new contributors to
our training missions to speed up the tutoring process. The Q&A on each
project's page explains to people where they can fit in. Projects can list
their bite-sized bugs in the volunteer opportunity finder. Your project's
ability to get utility out the OpenHatch site scales up as you put in more
effort. (<a href="/wiki/For project members">Read more about how current
participants can use OpenHatch</a>.)

You can also use the OpenHatch website as a place to build a profile of
your presence in the community. As free software contributors, our
identities are scattered across commit histories, email lists, and IRC
channels; your profile on OpenHatch can help people understand who you are
in the community. We automatically import some types of contributions, and
encourage you to round out the picture with the rest. (Read more about <a
href="/wiki/Profile importer">the profile importer</a>.)

> P.S. Part of the reason this is confusing is

Uh, why didn't I finish this thought?

Who knows!