[Devel] Moving the site to https (I just did it, but, um, should we really keep it this way?)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Thu Dec 3 06:16:21 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Raphael Krut-Landau's message of Thu Dec 03 06:01:59 +0000 2009:
> Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is there any upshot for
> PageRank? For instance: Will Google think that inbound links to
> http://openhatch.org count less because of the redirect, or something
> like that?

If we do RedirectPermanent, PageRank will flow. See
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34444
and its discussesion of RedirectPermanent.

I thought I'd get your OK before making them RedirectPermanents.

> Also, is https measurably slower by any chance? (I'm recalling stats
> about how milliseconds' difference in page load time can  make all the
> difference to click through rates.)

I recall those stats too. It'd be nice if we can find them.

It's tough to say. The *first* connection is slower -- two round trips
become five -- but then every connection after that should be just as
fast.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/149274/http-vs-https-performance for
a little more info.

> Thanks for the detailed report!